Basic members' details, demographics, and custom data collected through Fuel Cycle polls comprise Member Profiles. You can also append poll data manually to member profiles. Customize the member profile to fit the needs of your community. Use the information you collect in the profile to create dynamic groups and segment data exports.
To set up and customize the member profile, go to the Members > Profile Settings tab.
Step 1: Member Info
This first section includes the basic information all members must submit as part of the profile creation process. The Page Title and Description are customizable and displayed to the user above the member info fields when they create their account. They also appear above the member info fields in Account Settings once logged in as a member.
Below the Description, you'll see the information collected during the profile creation process in Fuel Cycle communities.
This information includes:
- Profile Photo: If you don't want members to upload a custom profile photo, deselect the checkbox next to the "eye" icon. When disabled, all members will have a generic avatar and cannot customize the photo.
- Username: All users are required to have a username, which displays next to all actions they perform in the community. For example, if the member comments on a discussion, it will display as a comment by "username."
- First Name: By default, this does not display to other members. If you want the first name to display to other members when they view Public Profile, select the checkbox next to the "public profile" icon.
- Last Name: By default, this does not display to other members. If you want the last name to display to other members when they view Public Profile, select the checkbox next to the "public profile" icon.
- Email Address
- Age: Community managers can decide which of the following date fields to collect at community registration:
- Year (this is always required when the date of birth field is enabled)
A community member's age is calculated from these date of birth inputs, and we have introduced special conditions to calculate age when the precise date of birth is not captured in the community:
- If Month and Year are selected (e.g. April 1970), then age is calculated from the first day of the birth month
- If Day and Year are selected (e.g. 5, 1970), then age is calculated from January 1st of that year
- If Year is selected, (e.g. 1970), then age is calculated from January 1st of that year
Community managers may also decide whether ages display in the member profile, whether asking for birthdate is displayed on the form, and whether birthdate is required.
- Gender: There are a few options available with Gender. You can show the user's gender to other members on the public profile page by selecting the checkbox next to the "public profile" icon. You can disable the gender question entirely by selecting the checkbox next to the "eye" icon. You can require that the user answer the gender question by selecting the checkbox next to the "asterisk" icon.
- Mobile Number: By default, the mobile verification question will not display to members. However, if you want to require mobile verification when members create their accounts, select the "asterisk" icon. When the user signs up, they will be prompted with a message to verify their mobile number. Mobile verification is a very effective way of preventing fraud and duplicate member accounts.
Please note that the phone number collected in this field is only used for verification purposes and will not be appended to the member's profile or appear in member exports.
Step 2: Member Profile
This next section is where you can add polls, which consist of demographic and custom questions. During sign-up, this is the second page of registration.
Similar to Step 1, the Title and Description are displayed above the questions.
Below the Description, you'll see a section called "Add Demographic Question." There are two types of questions:
These are standard demographic questions that can be enabled for any Fuel Cycle community. These questions cannot be edited, but they are used in the Dashboard reporting when enabled.
The predefined polls include:
- Marital Status
- Facebook Link
- Twitter Link
- LinkedIn Link
- Street Line 2
- Zip Code
- Employment Status
To add a question, simply select it from the drop-down and click the "Add" button.
Once the question is added, it will display above with a few options.
Enable the following options by using the checkboxes:
- Classify as Personally Identifiable Information (PII): When selected, the question may be considered PII.
- Display to Member: When selected, the question will display to member users.
- Display to Client: When selected, the question will display to client users.
- Display to Moderators: When selected, the question will display to moderator users.
- Required in Form: When selected, the user will be required to answer the question.
When you have more than one question on this page, you can use the arrows to customize the ordering of questions. If you want to remove the question, click the "x" button to remove the question completely.
You can create custom polls that best fit your needs.
Custom Polls can also be used to manually append data to member profiles behind-the-scenes. To manually append data, you'll build custom poll(s) and disable all display options so that members will never be asked the question(s). You can manually upload data into your custom polls via a batch update.
There are two ways to create questions.
- Click the "Create" button from this screen to open the question builder.
- Go to Surveys > Profile Questions tab to view all questions available or create new questions.
- When you start a new question, you must first select the Question Type. The following options are available:
- Text Box: Open-ended question
- Single Choice
- Multiple Choice
- Grid Single Choice
- Grid Multiple Choice
- Once you select the question type, follow the prompts to build the question.
- Reference: The reference is used in the data exports rather than displaying the entire question. You can only use one word to represent the question.
- Message: This is the question that will be asked of members.
- Include in Export (checkbox): When selected, this question will be included in Content and Member exports in the Member Profile data.
- Answers: To add answer options, click the "Create New Answer" button.
- For each answer, you need to provide both a Reference and a Message.
- The Reference displays in data exports and can only be one word to represent the answer.
- The Message is the text that displays to the member when they are answering the question.
- For each answer, you can choose to hide it by deselecting the "eye" icon. This is useful if you want to disable the option temporarily.
- Use the arrows to move the answer up or down.
- Use the "x" button to completely remove the answer.
- After creating the custom question, click the "Save" button. Once the question is saved, it will be created and available to use.
- To add the question to the profile...
- return to Members > Profile Settings.
- select the question from the drop-down next to "Custom Profile Question".
- click the "Add" button.
- The same visibility options are available to custom questions as the demographic questions (i.e., ability to display to members/clients/mods, require a question, etc.)
- Continue with adding predefined and custom questions as needed to build out the member profile page to your preference and research needs.