You may want to use demographic data in addition to survey data, often for analyzing differences between demographics and behavioral characteristics. Fortunately, Fuel Cycle makes it easy to combine your profiling data with survey data using a Qualtrics feature called Embedded Data.
In order for embedded data to work, you'll need create Profile Points for all data that you want to push to Qualtrics. Make sure that there's data to push; check over your data in an export to be sure. Then, push data using Force Qualtrics Panel Update.
Adding Profile Fields to Surveys
Any fields you create cannot sync to Qualtrics if there no response values. If you have a field for Valentine's Preference with the values Chocolates, Flowers, and Jewelry—and no one likes Flowers—then that value cannot sync to Qualtrics because there simply aren't any of those entries to push.
- In Qualtrics, from the Home screen, click the icon with the three lines in the top left.
- Click Projects.
- On the row containing the survey to edit, click the icon with three dots on the right.
- Select Edit Survey.
- Click the Survey Flow icon on the left.
- If not already in the survey, Add a New Element.
- Select the field called Embedded Data.
- In "Embedded Data" click Add from Contacts.
- Select a contact list and the embedded data you’d like to import from that list.
Select the tags to import by clicking on them.
Embedded data blocks need to be at very top of the survey flow.
- Click Apply.
Default Profile Points
By default, Fuel Cycle pushes the following profile points to Qualtrics automatically as Embedded Data:
- Age—The calculated difference in years between the member's Date of Birth and today's date.
- Gender—A built-in field, not a profile point created to list more than binary options.
- Role—Designates whether the entry is a member or moderator.
- TestAccount—Designates whether the member is to be excluded as a test account.
- Username—The member's unique identifier.
- Recruitment—Designates which recruitment email drew the member.
Personally Identifiable Information
Personally Identifiable Information (PII) is information that can be used to identify, contact, or locate an individual. This includes things like name and address as well as more sensitive data. Every profile point in Fuel Cycle has a setting that indicates whether the field could contain PII. Depending on how your community is configured, PII may not sync to Qualtrics if that is not allowed.
Embedded Data Syntax
Multiselect fields when translated to Embedded Data use a pipe character | to delineate between the field and the choice, using the following format:
such as Valentines|Flowers or Valentines|Chocolates.
Grid questions contain three aspects of information, so when those sync to Qualtrics, they will be in the format:
such as Valentines_Food|Chocolates or Valentines_Gifts|Jewelry.
You may choose to segment your members using static or dynamic groups and then push those groups to Qualtrics. Groups use the same pipe character format:
such as Group|SegmentA or Group|married_nokids_doubleincome.