RealEye is a powerful eye-tracking platform that utilizes standard webcams to provide in-depth insights into user behavior and engagement with digital content. With features like heatmaps, scroll maps, and A/B testing, RealEye empowers businesses and UX/UI designers to optimize posters, packaging, video ads, and websites or applications, improving the overall user experience and driving better results.
Full instructions are available at the RealEye knowledge base. In addition to taking the study, participants will need to give permission for their cameras to be used and calibrate their cameras to participate in the study.
You may export Fuel Cycle CSV data that contains P2 points and import the data into RealEye. These points will be parsed as tags in RealEye and linked to participants by userid.
These are the steps involved in the Study Setup process:
There are four Study Types you can create:
- Basic Stimuli—product logo design, ad production, videos
- Interactive Mockup—website content or design, user experience
- Embedded Website
- Screen Recording
- RealEye recommends using the default settings. In particular, Enable External Tool Integration to integrate your study with Fuel Cycle.
- Add redirects to redirect participants:
- Finish URL— when completing the study, redirect them to your community home page.
- Skip test URL—if they click 'Skip Test' during calibration.
- Quota Full URL—if there are no more seats during the study.
- Screen Out URL—devices fail to meet the required criteria.
These are the steps for the Contents Setup process:
- Add your study items, such as images/videos/Page URLs.
- Preview your study.
- Publish your study.
We recommend the following content for participants' instructions
In this study, we'll ask you to participate in an eye-tracking session using your webcam. Please:
- Use a desktop device like a laptop/PC/Mac(book), [of course, this doesn't apply to studies with Smartphones or Tablets allowed]
- Use Chrome web browser,
- Ensure you have a good quality, working webcam plugged in,
- Ensure your webcam is very steady and below your eye level,
- Ensure you're in good lighting conditions - the light source is in front of you and illuminates your face evenly,
- Don't rush through the calibration process,
- If you wear glasses, make sure there are no reflections on them,
- Try to keep your head still during the whole test,
- If you're using a laptop, make sure it's plugged in.
- (for website testing) Please share your screen or browser window (NOT a tab) when asked.
We value your privacy. We don't store any images or sounds. We use your camera only to calculate eye position.
Alchemer is only used as a passthrough so that we can link Fuel Cycle to RealEye and pass the participant data (such as user ID) into their system. First, copy the participation link from RealEye. In your Alchemer survey tool:
Create an Alchemer survey. The first survey page should contain text that explains the process. When they are ready to proceed they can click Next.
- The second page should consist of a URL redirect action that contains the RealEye participation link.
Under Fields to Pass...
- Under Question to Send, change the drop-down to URL variable and click Add Field.
- Add the URL variable userid and under Variable Name add userid.
- Click Save Action.
- On the Edit Action Logic tab, change Disable Action to Yes (this is temporary).
- Add the Fuel Cycle redirect URL on the last Thank You page back to Fuel Cycle so that the survey will link to Fuel Cycle and the participant data will flow to Alchemer as they begin to participate in the RealEye study.
- Return to the Fuel Cycle browser tab. You will notice that the page has changed to Create & Import Survey.
- Add the survey link to Fuel Cycle. This links the survey you just created to Fuel Cycle and allows you to link participant data through the survey and to RealEye. At the end of this process, you will successfully import the survey to Fuel Cycle.
- Return to the Alchemer browser tab.
- On the Thank You Page, you must now edit the action, click the Logic tab, and Disable Action = Yes on the Fuel Cycle redirect link.
- On the second page with the RealEye participation link, you must now edit the action, click the Logic tab, and change Disable Action to No.
At this point, moderators can add the survey to an activity and share it with participants to join the RealEye study.